Monday, October 31, 2022

Happy Halloween!

 

Cover by Curt Swan & Stan Kaye

Although it has no relation to the cover above, today being Halloween and all that made me think of one of the Superman’s sixties and seventies stories aspects I enjoyed more when I was a kid: his weakness when confronted with magic. In some way I find hard to explain, his susceptibility to the supernatural was something that resonated with me much better than the more prosaic kryptonite. But then again, maybe because DC (mainly during the reign of Julius Schwartz) is so closely associated with the material world of science, whenever the supernatural intruded its effects were much more chilling than, say, in Marvel Comics.

Maybe that’s why Deadman, The Phantom Stranger, Etrigan, or Solomon Grundy had a more lasting effect in me than Ghost Rider or Morbius, the Living Vampire. Marvel, obviously, excelled with Lee and Ditko’s Doctor Strange, and few characters left a more iconic impression of villainy than The Green Goblin (again, through Ditko’s horror attuned imagination), but few stories had more impact on me than Wolfman and Perez’s Brother Blood Saga from NEW TEEN TITANS back in the early Eighties, or the initial run of SWAMP THING by Wein and Wrightson.

Except, maybe, for the one I have the fondest memory of: “The Monsters Among Us!”, written by the same Len Wein (with Paul Levitz), and penciled by Curt Swan (inked in this issue by Frank Chiaramonte), from SUPERMAN # 344 (cover dated February 1980). That’s the story I always remember each time the leafs fall from the trees and the full moon rises behind the naked branches of crooked trees on Halloween night.

So, Happy Halloween, folks!

Cover by José Luis García-López

2 comments:

  1. Though I like the basic idea of kryptonite in its original context-- as discussed on my blog awhile-- I certainly don't care that much about the dozens of kryptonite bullets and kryptonite ray guns that followed in the wake of the first few stories. Red kryptonite, though, was arguably more interesting because its effects were like magic, wreaking weird transformations upon the offspring of Krypton. But real magic, whenever it became firmly part of the Superman mythos, was certainly more malleable, even in the siller manifestations, like that great Lois Lane story where Catwoman uses a wand to change Superman into a cat.

    I reread the Lois Lane story, and it's close to embodying a "near-myth" about the female of the species. though it's not quite as good as it might have been. And I agree that DC's magic was often more evocative than that of Marvel, outside of the Doctor Strange books. A lot of Marvel magic isn't that "enchanting."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherman,

    It's been almost a year since we were discussing Martin Scorsese's remarks on my blog, so I thought I'd ask-- did you decide to watch the SHANG CHI movie yet?

    I almost watched a library DVD today, but it wouldn't play...

    ReplyDelete